How Background Music Can Help Promoting Your Business on YouTube
In this post I will explain why you should seriously consider using background music in your business video, in order to to grab viewers attention, set the tone, engage, and to create emotional connection with your prospective clients.
Experts agree: video is among today’s top promotional tools
According to the survey results presented in Forbes, most respondents preferred video over other forms of promotional media, including white papers, case studies, and even live demonstrations.
In other words, if you have something to offer, promote or sell, you should be using video to help you getting new customers.
Now, assuming you are sold on the idea of using business video for promoting your business, let’s see how you can make the most of it just by adding the background music.
Increase viewers engagement by adding background music
You might think the music is optional. After all, people should be interested in what you have to say or show in your video.
Take a look at this video.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad video. The animation does a great job explaining the company services, showing all the good things the company has to offer. However, don’t you get a feeling that something’s missing?
It’s completely silent! You are being served the facts and information but essentially it’s no different that reading an ad in the paper.
Video can be much more than just another version of your sales pitch – take advantage of it!
Remember! The attention span of today’s internet user is extremely short! You literally have only few seconds to grab one’s attention.
Now take a look at the second video.
It delivers essentially the same message but pay attention to how music helps to set the warm and inviting tone and creates the assertive and positive atmosphere right from the start. Let’s face it, we all like dealing with those who project the positive image and make us feel good.
For the record, I’m not affiliated with neither company. I am merely using their public videos to demonstrate the concept. I did not write the music for the second video, but feel free to check out these promotional videos created by small and large businesses. All these videos use my music.
Of course, music is just an integral part of the overall presentation. But it is undoubtedly the essential part! Let’s see why.
Music helps to deliver YOUR message
Here are just a few reasons why you seriously should consider adding background music to your corporate or business video:
- Music helps to grab the viewers attention even before anything happens in the video
- Music helps to instantly set the desired mood to happy, positive, mysterious, playful, sad, or anything in between. Yet again, before any words are spoken.
- It drives the pace of the video. It can be mellow at the start and then pick up the pace following the events in the video.
- Great soundtrack will give your viewers another reason to share your video.
- Music helps to direct your viewers mindset and creates the emotional connection.
Background music in video helps to create the emotional connection with your prospective customer
Great! Can I just use any music I like?
I am sure you can think of a dozen of popular tracks that you’d love to use in your video! However, before you pick the background music, you need to consider two things:
- Does the music evoke the emotions you want to communicate to your audience? For instance, do you want them to feel warm, excited, or alert? You may really like a particular music track but it may be delivering the wrong message to your clients. You don’t want that.
- Finally, and this one is a biggie, can you legally use the music in your video?
As you know, unless in public domain, all music is protected by copyright law. That means, that you may not use copyrighted music for business unless permitted by the copyright holder.
And if you use copyrighted music without permission, you may end up with a copyright strike on your channel.
In extreme (still very real) cases, the business owner may be taken to court to recover damages ranging from $750 per violation, to $150,000 if the court decides the infringement was willful (according to Lindsay LaVine, writer for the Enterpreneur).
Read more: 5 Music Licensing Mistakes that Can Make Your Video Disappear
UNLIMITED ROYALTY FREE MUSIC FOR VIDEOS & COMMERCIAL USE
Unlimited download. Lifetime license. Save over 50%.
Where to find music that’s safe to use in business video?
As a small business owner, you have few options:
- Use music available under Creative Commons license. That is, music that’s made free by its creators. Depending on individual license, you may have to provide credit or only be allowed to use music in non-commercial projects. Creative Commons Web site has a list of record labels and projects that offer this license.
- Use music that’s already in public domain. This one is trickier than it sounds, though. Even though many of classical and jazz compositions are already in public domain, the individual recordings may be copyrighted.
- Get in touch with independent (that is, not affiliated with a record label) musicians and ask for permission to use their music. Many indie musicians will be willing to grant you the rights in exchange for credit and exposure.
- Explore production / stock music marketplaces that offer royalty-free music. A simple Web search for “royalty-free music” will give you plenty to choose from. If you’re not sure what royalty-free means, read this post.
Depending on your situation and preferences, you may favor one of the options above and avoid the others.
In my view, the fastest and the easiest option would be going with the royalty-free music.
Why? Because it will give you a great choice of affordable music created and cleared specifically for video use. Given the abundance of existing marketplaces there is no consistent pricing.
You can find tracks from $5-$10 to $40-$60 for a simple royalty-free license to $40-$100 and more for the commercial license. In any case, read the license carefully details to know where you can and cannot use the music.
How I can help
At MikS Music, I offer royalty-free music to use in business promotional videos for under $20 per track for the regular royalty free license.
You can safely and legally use my music on YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, and other social media sites. Furthermore, I can modify any of my tracks to precisely match your video in terms of pace, length, and instrumentation or create unique music specifically for your project.
Here are just few examples of my royalty-free music tracks available for use in business and corporate videos. If you are a YouTube partner, please note that my royalty-free license allows for commercial use and YouTube monetization.
Positive and confident royalty free background instrumental music with uplifting and motivational feel for corporate videos and marketing projects.
Positive corporate royalty-free music with assertive and grand feel for an uplifting and motivational corporate video or commercial.
Positive, motivational, and uplifting royalty free background music for corporate and small business videos with inspirational and confident feel featuring the mix of acoustic and electronic sounds.
5 Good Reasons
- I own 100% of rights to my music, no labels or publishers involved.
- All licenses are royalty free, buy once - use forever.
- Every order comes with email confirmation, invoice, and licensing certificate.
- Easy to understand licensing agreement.
- Tiered licensing, pay only for the usage you need.